DAN: Yeah, yeah, yeah...what you can do is ummmmmm...make a flower. So this is like all the different 'You's'. There's many different You's, right, so many, yeah. So I...I...I...I'll choose a businessman. This is the...this entrepreneurial business type. And I like to wear nice shoes and I like...sometimes i go and sit in meetings and talk to MP's and stuff like that. Oh and then there's another bit of me, the Elfman, see, I was talking about it before - this little kid who wants to be a pixie, who's running around in the playground...or...or...or...ummmmm, I don't know, which one do you want to know about?
RAISA: They are all quite juicy.
DAN: The Underwater Baby.
RAISA: Yeah
DAN: Well I told you, that's my first memory.
RAISA: Did you?
DAN: The first memory of ummmm...falling into the pond, falling into the water. And I toppled into this pond and I was under the water and I have a really strong memory...a feeling of...wonderment feeling of...of not that there isn't any danger there, but it doesn't bother me, it's more like 'Wow! I'm floating and I'm under the water and I can see the things in the water and I can like...I don't know like a silverfish...like...and I can see a lot of tadpoles that are swimming around me and I'm just floating under the water and I'm really young, I'm two years old and I don't have any feeling of danger. And it's a very quiet place because you can't really speak because you're under the water, you have to hold your breath. And then I got rescued but I think that that experience has kept with me and I was born into water.
RAISA: Ok, ok, great.
DAN: My mother...
RAISA: That kind of makes...
DAN: But then you know you can take all these different selves and use them. They are kind of like masks. At least that thing that I did during this course, that I did on mask work, and he compared that each of your different selves is like a mask, that you can put on or take off, quite liberating in a way to think of it that way - it's just another aspect of yourself that you can use, you know what I mean? Rather than it being like you're a slave to it, that you are stuck in it, you're never stuck in life, so there's like so many faces to you and if you just maybe start to get to know them.
tadpoles
ReplyDeleteby concentrate @ 06. Jan. 2007. – 22:49:35
The first thing I remember is tadpoles.
I plunge headfirst into the lake. The clear water swallows me easily, slurping, gently sucking me into a slow silent float. I am stunned, wide-eyed with wonder, but strangely unconcerned, hypnotised by nereids, stupified by this secret amphibian world. My cheeks balloon, inflated with oxygen, and I am flying, weightless beneath a madly fluctuating silver sky, surrounded by a million squiggling tadpoles, a vivid nightscape in negative. Black shooting stars tickle me with their tails.
Suddenly a large hand rips through the surface of things, wavering before me, pale and magnified by the rippling wet. A hand, bejeweled with bubbles that gleam like tiny diamonds. The hand grabs the collar at the back of my neck and heaves me out of the water. It is a mans hand, rough against my childs skin in the soft slip of the water.
I gasp, taking in huge gulps of air, shuddering in the shrivelled vacuum-grip of sodden clothes. A terrible strangle of tears rises in my throat, an irresistable surge welling up and bursting out of me. I cry out, afraid of this strange heavy world of reaching hands and frowning faces and water pouring off me, out of me. I cry, lamenting the briefness of that fleeting, floating moment.